Landmark Ornament - Historic White County Courthouse Museum
Landmark Ornament - Historic White County Courthouse Museum

Landmark Ornament - Historic White County Courthouse Museum

Regular price $15.95

Limited Edition First in a Series.

By an act of the Legislature of the State of Georgia, White County officially became a county in December 1857. The new White County government immediately began plans to build a courthouse on a knoll just north of the east-west road known as Underwood Street.

Bricks for the building were manufactured from local clay by slave labor fired in a kiln near the foot of Yonah Mountain. The framework timber was also cut from local forests.

The walls are 16 inches thick on the ground level. The building sufficed for White County government until 1964 when a new courthouse was built. White County Historical Society maintains and operates the building as a living history museum.